Surrounded by mature trees against the backdrop of the blue Atlanta sky, the Atlanta Georgia Temple is the first temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be built in Georgia and in the southeastern United States. The 34,500-square-foot building is a landmark on Barfield Road in the Sandy Springs community, and the temple’s single spire rises over 9.6 acres of manicured lawn and gardens.
The first Mormon missionaries arrived in Georgia in 1843. In the 1840s and 1850s, people who converted to the Mormon faith left their homes to join other Church members in Nauvoo, Illinois, and later in Utah. Missionary work ceased throughout the South during the Civil War. During the 1870s, however, proselytizing resumed in Georgia, and many people living in the state converted to the Church and emigrated to Utah. In 1911, Church President Joseph F. Smith asked Church members to remain in their regions and establish local Latter-day Saint communities. From that time forward, Church membership has continued to grow in Georgia.
Temple Session Times
6450 Barfield Road Northeast
SANDY SPRINGS, GEORGIA 30328-4203
You are about to access www.google.com.
Rebecca describes how the temple has helped her family to grow closer together.